After two long years, months of waiting on quotes, a variance interruption, and multiple "we're breaking ground" lies, things are FINALLY happening for #WildernestBuild.
Since becoming a beekeeper, I've found myself being tagged in Facebook posts from homeowners who believe they have a "swarm" of honey bees needing to be removed. As any beekeeper could tell you, we jump at the chance to save and take them away, but so far, 100% of my calls have neither been a swarm or honey bees at all. I'm hoping this post will help change that!
July 10th has been my only concern this past month as we awaited our variance hearing. Every time I saw it on the calendar, or heard it in passing, it would trigger my anxiety and give me hot flashes. July 10th was the date of variance hearing, which I talked about it my last post.
In Massachusetts at least, some counties do pesticide and herbicide spraying all over town in order to help combat the mosquito population and keep diseases at bay. Eversource, the electric company, also sends out notices to towns when they're ready to spray their power line easements for similar things.
One of the many reasons Jay and I decided to purchase land with so much acreage was so that we could eventually build a little homestead - a homestead where we could teach our future children the importance of self sustainability, hard work, and the growing up wild lifestyle we wish for them to have.
You may remember my post, from back in November, about how we got our 4 private poles installed - then how they all got destroyed by a freak Nor’Easter about 7 days later. We have since repaired the poles, which only cost us $500 thanks to our pole guy being an incredible human being. None of the wires, despite like 4 massive trees on top of one of them, sustained any damage and the poles themselves just needed a bit of readjusting to get everything back to par. Finally, it was time for Eversource to get in and do their part.
A tale of excitement that quickly turns into devastation - the pole saga!
As some of you may recall, I made a post back in January talking about our first steps for getting this house built, which was deciding on how we'd get power up our 900' driveway and to our future house.
Some of the things that come with waiting to build on our vacant land include dealing with insurance and how to protect ourselves from this sue-happy world. God forbid someone takes it upon themselves to explore our property, trips and gets hurt - everything we have ever worked for could be taken away in an instant.
Jay and I just got back from the Bristol County Registry of Deeds, where we closed on the 6 acres of land we made on offer on back in June. We now have the means to move forward with our journey and build the house of our dreams.
But back in June, when we discovered our property, things weren't as easy as they seemed.